Originally published August 2014, refreshed and reposted for 2018
Remember that white-hot and very worthwhile Ice Bucket Challenge of 2014? The way it exploded confirmed many of us search for fun and meaning this time of year.
As part of my end of summer quest to write posts aiding that search, let’s start with fun:
That would be Best of Westchester 2018. The epicenter of all things 914, 2018 winners were announced last month, wowzer! They also throw the best party, make note now to catch their 2019 soiree!!
Other fun stuff:
Snag Free Tickets
YES, sharing this info dilutes my chances of winning (again!) but that’s how much TRH values its subscribers! S
- SNL’s annual ticket lottery is NOW, here’s how to apply.
- Tix for other NYC-based tapings will go a lot faster after Labor Day, get yours now
- Subscribe to 107.1 The Peak’s Listener Advisory Board for chances to win tickets to local shows. I’ve seen Steven Stills, Trombone Shorty and Mayer Hawthorne!
Art Can Make You Happy
Yes, art can make you happy! And quieter…less-crowded…and air-conditioned local museums in late August can make you even happier.
- Best deal is the Fairfield Westchester Museum Alliance: Membership to one gets you free admission to all 8, for a full year.
- Love, love love Yonker’s own Hudson River Museum . OK, this one did pull a hat trick, winning Best of Westchester Best Art Gallery, Best Historic Site and OHYES its Planetarium winning Best Date Night. Free shows, and free admission the next few weekends.
More fun stuff:
- Dance under the stars, see Fireworks, or Ice Skate-all at Rye Playland
- Movie night at the Drive-In
- Local (and very affordable) minor league baseball in nearby Rockland and Dutchess counties
- More cheap thrills-year round, too!-check out Arts Westchester. Subscribe to their newsletter, you’ll get a list of 5 free to almost free happenings that week
- Every 41 seconds someone needs blood in the US, and each pint can help save up to three lives, but donations fall off sharply in the summer. Imagine if your loved one needed blood.
- Probably the most productive use of 45 minutes, plus there’s cookies and juice after! Here’s more info .
- Right now there is an acute blood emergency. Please donate if you can.
- National Voter Registration Day is coming up, you can volunteer…
- New voter, new name or circumstances? This link to federal *non-partisan* site will get you info you need in a few clicks.
- The League of Women Voters isn’t all about voter education and participation, its motto: Democracy is not a spectator sport! You can volunteer, or attend events.
Save Some Bucks