Many of us hang onto things we don’t need, intending to donate them when we can. But donating-actually getting them to their destination-can be hard. The economics of most charities limit what they can take, and when . Life is busy, having lots of little things to do can mean they don’t get done. Here’s easy drop-off info for 3 tricky items:
Eyeglasses: New prescription, switched to contacts, or got Lasik? Your old glasses cost hundreds, but once you don’t need them, taking a little time to donate them can be a life-changer for someone else.
The Lions are a national service organization…independent chapters who collect, repair then match up prescription glasses to those in need.
Drop off boxes at various locations in their community; usually libraries, diners, post offices and optometrist offices. Here in White Plains Raphael Opticians is one drop off. Glasses can also be mailed to the NJ collection center.
Best thing to do:
- Round all the old glasses up, even ask friends if they have any to donate
- Wrap each pair in something protective so lenses don’t scratch
- Google/do a FB search for the Lions Cub closest to you and message them for locations. But put bundles glasses in car TODAY for easy drop off.
Shoes: Via DSW and Zappos, Soles4Souls collects and re-distributes your new-to-very gently worn unwanted shoes.
- DSW has 4 locations in Westchester-Cortlandt Manor, Greenburgh, New Rochelle, and Yonkers. Yesterday I dropped off 16 pairs, was especially gleeful at purging all the corporate heels! BONUS: if you’re a member you get points to a new purchase.
- Zappos for Good members can print their own labels, and ship both unwanted shoes and blue jeans free from anywhere in US, FREE
Books: After owning books, bibliophiles love giving them to others who feel the same way.
Most libraries in Westchester County sell donated books to raise funds. Some like are ongoing, year-round, others have heavily hyped twice a year events, usually spring and fall. (Pleasantville and Scarsdale sales are legendary!). Click here for list of member libraries, see what the libraries near you do.
Click here if you’re looking for info on donating other things, OR be in touch please if you have additional resources you’d like to share!