Our appetite for the future is voracious; our appreciation and tolerance for the present moment, minimal.
True for Christmas trees in late December, kids on car trips, adults waiting on line for the newest phone, and home buyers looking for their new house.
We like to be entertained, but quickly get bored. In a hurry to get to what’s next, the present becomes ancient history fast. (At least some of us can laugh about it!)
Westchester County home owners looking to sell in 2019 will do well to not consign these hard lessons of 2018 to ancient history:
- Listing photos get people to the property. Professional quality, good composition that reads well on a 3″ phone screen.
- Do the remedial work. Repair/replace/restore to the best of your ability. Your costs will be less that what buyers will estimate. Removing potential objections smooths the path to yes.
- Its not about the pedigree. Yes the space needs to look its best, but costly, in-you-face decor is rarely a plus, even if it’s current.
- Bringing a property to its best is different for every seller, and every property. Reacting, railing against or rejecting what you think home staging is (aesthetics and costs) is a convenient rabbit hole. Condition and price need to sync.
- Price it right from Day One. Time is of the essence. Rarely is ‘trying out a price’ a good strategy.
Yes, some properties are hard to comp. But buyers have agents, and the checkbooks. They are one click away from your property’s pricing history. Serious buyers will quickly dismiss sellers appearing greedy, desperate or fishing.
Thinking of selling? Re-evaluating an under-performing listing? Start the new year right! On Thursday evening January 31st The Refreshed Home is presenting of Get it Noticed and SOLD: 2019 at the Warner Library in Tarrytown.
Free, and open to the public, suitable for sellers, agents, and flippers. Created to de-sensitize and de-mystify this whole Home Staging thing, so it’s easier to talk about and to get important things done. Download flyer below, CLICK HERE for library info. Hope to see you there!