Home Staging-a.k.a. getting a property to look its camera-ready best is rarely as dramatic as what you see on TV. But properties that look their best, and are priced accordingly historically garner the most interest, drive the most traffic, and generate the best offers, sooner.
It’s your money, your future; it’s crucial to determine- then do!- the very best you can, so your Westchester County property shows its best from Day One. The Refreshed Home counsels sellers to let these three numbers shape their decisions:
Listing photos drive traffic, and it’ll cost you if they’re not the best they can be-composition and quality. Online viewing is a given, but it’s the free Home Finder apps on phones and tablets that have buyers scanning new listings 24/7.
You KNOW this is true if you’re looking at new properties yourself: photos have 5-6 seconds to engage a buyer, to give them a reason to stick around and see more. Otherwise it’s SWIPE! into oblivion. Want a real eye-opener? Take photos of your house, right now, and then view them on your computer screen.
We’ve all heard ‘you never get a second chance to make a first impression’…have you ever known it not to be true? (Me neither!)
Good listing photos get people off the sofa and into the car. Once your property is in sight, the clock starts, and in less than 2 minutes these buyers will decide if it merits further consideration. So *if* you need to make hard choices, front load your efforts. I am less concerned about 5th BR or basement than the expected rooms they see first. Take a hard look:
- Is the house well-lit, is the property neat, maintained and in good repair?
- Is the entry clean, uncluttered and welcoming?
- Ask a friend if it passes the sniff test: does the scent of tobacco, pets, cooking, etc greet visitors?
- Are the expected rooms-LR, DR, Kitchen-bright, are the colors/decor current? Will buyers see your space, or be distracted by your stuff?
Every new seller is given the gift of 30 days: their listing is new and fresh, everyone wants to see it first. After 30 days, not so much. New = better, old is. well, old. It’s why the next model year cars hit in June…and when the clearance sales of current models begins.
Properties sell quickly and well when price and condition are in sync, and support each other. Having your Westchester County property priced right from Day One is just as important as maintaining a show-ready condition.
Two reasons why you’ll want to give it your all that first 30 days:
- Remember the buyer mindset-they are scared to death of missing the right house and choosing the wrong one. After 30 days they assume those that saw it before passed because of problems, so they’ll move on too.
- The quicker the right buyer chooses your property, the lower your carrying costs. The more it lingers, the more it will cost you-taxes, insurance, mortgage. You’ll also probably need to resort to price cuts to stoke new interest in your old listing.
Preparing your Westchester County property for sale is a unique and personal process. It’s a series of solutions that match your goals and abilities with your expectations and resources, make sense in your market and support your price point.
Experience has shown me that once motivated sellers have a plan, they can do a lot more than they thought they could do. They also usually have a lot more resources than they think they do.
Getting ready to sell? Have an older or expired listing?
Talk to me TODAY about getting your property noticed and SOLD!